The Holy Spirit gives us nine sign gifts to help in the body of Christ. Here is what the Bible says:
- But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. (1 Corinthians 12:7-11)
Here are the nine gifts organized by category:
- Revelation gifts – these gifts reveal something
- Word of wisdom (vs. 8) – gives supernatural wisdom such as Jesus had when he was in the Temple at 12 years old and knew more than those that had studied for years in the seminary.
- Word of knowledge (vs. 8) – reveals things that only one or a few know
- Discerning of spirits(vs. 10) – allows the user to discern the heart and intent of others
- Action gifts – these gifts do something supernatural
- Faith (vs. 9) – allows you to believe above all else; it can also be called supernatural faith
- Gifts of healing (vs. 9) – allows the user to invoke supernatural healing on the sick
- Working of miracles (vs. 10) – causes the user to perform the supernatural
- Edification gifts – these gifts provide edification to the body of Christ usually in a church setting
- Prophecy (vs. 10) – causes the user to supernaturally reveal some future event
- Diverse kinds of tongues (also called the gift of tongues) (vs. 10) – causes the user to speak in another language to give a message in tongues in the church; this not the same as the prayer language which all receive at their infilling.
- Interpretation of tongues (vs. 10) – Interprets the message in tongues given by one who possess the gift of tongues
Why are we given these gifts?
- But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. (1 Corinthians 12:7)
We are also told to seek them:
- But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. (1 Corinthians 12:31)